ECO at ISB
Welcome from the ISB Eco-Warriors
To support and be actively involved in sustainable initiatives in Brunei and beyond, including organisations which work towards raising eco-awareness and sustainable practices.
- Establish relationships with government and non-government agencies to identify projects which are commensurate with the mission.
- Solicit funding from stakeholders to finance the projects.
- Provide opportunities for ISB staff and students to have first-hand involvement with the projects
- Provide a vehicle for integrating education for sustainable development (ESD) into the whole school curriculum
- Establish links with schools and other interested institutions world-wide and provide them with opportunities to become involved with, and contribute to, identified projects and gain first-hand experience through visits where possible.
An up to date copy of the results from our Eco Review and Action Plan can be found on the Eco Notice board. We have lots of exciting projects that we are involved in to help our Eco Schools journey. Please visit our VLE for further up to date information on Eco Initiatives in ISB.
The ‘Eco-Schools’ award is an international programme that helps us to achieve sustainability and tries to make safeguarding the environment a high priority in children’s lives. By following the Eco Schools programme we can address environmental issues at International School of Brunei.
The nine topics that the Eco Schools cover are:
Eco-schools is an award programme that promotes environmental awareness in schools using a cross-curricular approach. The Eco-committee (elected from students, parents, teachers, non-teaching staff and members of the wider school community) drive the Eco-schools programme. They carry out an environmental review and from this develop an action plan to make the school more sustainable.
International School of Brunei was awarded its first Eco Schools Green Flag in 2012. They are applying to renew this award in May 2018.
For more information about Eco-Schools, visit the Eco- Schools website.
True to the ‘green’ history and culture of ISB, the school building is ‘Greenmark’-accredited, the first school in Borneo to gain this prestigious ECO-awareness award. Even better, the school is aiming to qualify for a higher level award, again, unique amongst Borneo schools at the present time. Greenmark accreditation has four essential aims:
- Facilitate reduction in water and energy bills,
- Reduce potential environmental impact,
- Improve indoor environmental quality for a healthy and productive workplace,
- Provide clear direction for continual improvement.
To satisfy these aims, in practical terms, the school has:
- Drive-through recycling centre in the planning
- Green waste recycling facility
- ‘Greenmark’-approved, more energy efficient technology throughout all buildings
- Orientation of buildings to reduce impact of direct sunlight
- Conservation and Renewable Energy building (CARE Centre) in the planning
- Jungle informational trails
- Structures built from recycled materials
- Designated indigenous plant species
- Growing area sponsored by students and parents
- Ongoing ECO initiatives aimed at enhancing understanding of sustainable practices
Keep going green, ISB!