To support and be actively involved in sustainable initiatives in Brunei and beyond, including organisations which work towards raising eco-awareness and sustainable practices.
- Establish relationships with government and non government agencies to identify projects which are commensurate with the mission.
- Solicit funding from stakeholders to finance the projects.
- Provide opportunities for ISB staff and students to have first hand involvement with the projects
- Provide a vehicle for integrating education for sustainable development (ESD) into the whole school curriculum
- Establish links with schools and other interested institutions world wide and provide them with opportunities to become involved with, and contribute to, identified projects and gain first hand experience through visits where possible.
- Approach multinational and local companies for contributions in the form of carbon credits payments to fund projects.
- Eco Friendly Travel
- Red Ape Encounters
Project 1 (Heart of Borneo)
ISB is supporting the Heart of Borneo Project by targeting tree planting and conservation programmes within the area designated as HOB.
Guests were also treated to a programme of entertainment which included indigenous cultural dances, ISB student orchestra and choir together with a special appearance from William Barton, the worlds foremost didgeridoo player.
At the end of the evening a cheque for RM18000 was presented by the guest of honour to Mr Sahdin Lias, Chief executive of Red Ape Encounters. for the reforestation of one hectare of rainforest in the threatened Kinabatangan Basin of Sabah. This money had been raised by ISB through its on-going recycling programme.
Project 2 (Million Trees)
Thanks to the very generous support from the following companies,schools and individuals, the project is now complete with 49,999 trees having been funded and planted:
- Bank Islam Brunei Darussalam (BIBD)
- British Shell Petroleum Company Sdn Bhd
- CIC Environmental Services Sdn Bhd
- P-EWI (B) Sdn Bhd
- British High Commission to Brunei
- Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation
- International School Brunei MTP
- NBT (Brunei) Sdn Bhd
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Perbadanan Tabung Amanah Islam Brunei (TAIB)
- Ms Caroline Lim
- Baiduri Bank Group
- Archipelago Group of Companies
- Jati Transport Sdn Bhd
- Megamas Training Co
- DHL Express (B) Sdn Bhd
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Jasra Group of Companies
- HE Dr Ruth Adler – Ex Australian High Commission
- Brunei Methanol Company Sdn Bhd
- Brunei Association of Hotels
- Little Bean Co
- Ms Joy Lim J.Y. & Mr Sean Lim K.S.
- Indie Travellers
- Bright Jigsaw International School
- DES School
- SK Tinggi Perempuan Isteri
- Brunei Shell Marketing Co. Sdn Bhd
- Total E&P Borneo B.V.
- Sunlit Advertising
- International School Brunei PTA
- British Ladies Community
- Seri Mulia Sarjana School
- Ng Yew Kheong
- Shawn Narcis and friends
- Alexandra Lim
- Irene Yu
- St Margarets school
- Morley & Co. Sdn Bhd
- British High Commissions of Singapore and Phom Penh
- Sekolah Menengah Pg Anak Puteri Hjh Masna
- Sekolah Menengah Pg Isteri Hajah Mariam
- Maktab Sains
True to the ‘green’ history and culture of ISB, the school building is ‘Greenmark’-accredited, the first school in Borneo to gain this prestigious ECO-awareness award. Even better, the school is aiming to qualify for a higher level award, again, unique amongst Borneo schools at the present time. Greenmark accreditation has four essential aims:
- Facilitate reduction in water and energy bills,
- Reduce potential environmental impact,
- Improve indoor environmental quality for a healthy and productive workplace,
- Provide clear direction for continual improvement.
To satisfy these aims, in practical terms, the school has:
- Drive-through recycling centre in the planning
- Green waste recycling facility
- ‘Greenmark’-approved, more energy efficient technology throughout all buildings
- Orientation of buildings to reduce impact of direct sunlight
- Conservation and Renewable Energy building (CARE Centre) in the planning
- Jungle informational trails
- Structures built from recycled materials
- Designated indigenous plant species
- Growing area sponsored by students and parents
- Ongoing ECO initiatives aimed at enhancing understanding of sustainable practices
Keep going green, ISB!