The focus of school counseling is to enhance the students' development, assisting with the development of a positive school culture and empowering students toward positive change.
The counselor :
- Promotes personal and social development appropriate to developmental stages
- Counsels students, their families and the community to foster growth in the students' self esteem through individual responsibility, and in skills such as decision making and social skills
- Identify factors which may precipitate problems for students
- Enhances students' educational achievement through goal setting in conjunction with the Pastoral co-coordinators. This may include assisting with the development of IEP's and activities which promote effective work and study habits
- Provides appropriate interventions to assist students with school related problems and issues
Facilitates the goals of career education by assisting students along with the Careers counsellor to explore and clarify the student's
career options, through developmental activities that stress decision-making, personal planning and career awareness.